Cambridge Assessment is the brand name of UCLES or the University of Cambridge Local Examinations Syndicate which is a non-teaching department of Cambridge University.
Cambridge Assessment is responsible for setting and grading a number of international English examinations. UCLES started in 1858 with their Proficiency in English examination introduced in 1913.
Cambridge ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) is part of Cambridge Assessment and runs the following examinations:
- Certificate of Proficiency in English Examination (CPE)
- Certificate of Advanced English (CAE)
- First Certificate in English (FCE)
- Preliminary English Test (PET)
- Key English Test (KET)
General English – Modular Assessment
English for Young Learners
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System
Qualifications for Teachers
Learner Levels – to compare the level of Cambridge exams with other exam bodies.
Cambridge Assessment – official website.